Research Project – Opinions wanted

Home Forums General Forums Book talk Research Project – Opinions wanted

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  A E R I Oliver 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I’m a new member, but intend on becoming active on the site, but I’m not going to pretend I have purely selfless intentions. This is a plea for help! I’m currently mid-way through a research project, with intentions of expanding my work into a longer essay on media conflict discourse and ideology in Science Fiction. Here’s a brief introduction to my topic:

Targets Acquired: Science Fiction and the Ideological Enemy.

For the majority of contemporary society, our engagement with the processes of war is limited to second-hand experience, through media interpretations and constructs. Nico Carpentier suggests that: ‘The construction of the ideological model of war is based on a series of genealogies of the constructions of the Enemy and the Self’. With this in mind, I intend to explore the extent to which modern media representations of warfare have influenced depictions of ideological enemies in contemporary Science Fiction, by examining media representations of the enemy in a series of post-World-War-II conflicts, and exploring how Science Fiction engaged with these representations.

I will be taking the Vietnam conflict as a starting point, more than likely in relation to Joe Haldeman’s The Forever War, and examining t changing landscape of Science Fiction’s employment and engagement with media representations of cultural identity and otherness in light of Cold War propaganda, and the ‘War on Terror’. Any recommendations for further literature would be welcome. I am currently leaning towards Kim Stanley Robinson’s Red Mars and Max Barry’s Jennifer Governent

A E R I Oliver

H G Wells wrote about what the forthcoming World War I could be like in one of his novels, more as a warning about the horrors of war. There were other writers around the same time trying to use fiction in any form to do exactly the same. So you might want to use this era as a contrast to the more modern science fiction.

The other thing to remember that World War I was far more devastating on human lives than World War II – you only need to read the reality in Vera Brittain’s Testament of Youth to see how horrific it was. It might be interesting for your project to gauge the changes in writing in science fictional war over time since H G Wells novels Tono-Bungay and The War in the Air (He is quoted to have said of the latter that his epitaph should read ‘I told you so’.)

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.