film review: Seeking a friend

Home Forums General Forums TV/Film talk film review: Seeking a friend

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GeoffNelder 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

GeoffNelder
    Participant

I’m a sucker for apocalyptic stories and so went to Chester’s only cinema (soon to be closed) to watch Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Premise has an asteroid on course for Earth but this time there’s Bruce Willis to save us. 3 weeks notice and not as much chaos as I’d expect – in fact the film dragged dreadfully in spite of the delightful acting efforts of Keira Knightley and Steve Carell. Long before half way I was urging the asteroid to accelerate and you know what? It did or the astronomers got it wrong and brought impact day forwards a week. Sorry, but this time I was glad the asteroid hit Earth. Well deserved wipe out. It was directed and written by Lorene Scafaria. To be fair it’s intended as a comical romance. A much better science fiction book along the lines of an inevitable end of world scenario is Sam Smith’s The End of Science Fiction published by BeWrite Books, in which a detective hunts down a murderer who thinks he’s escaped just because of the oncoming doom.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Thanks for the review Geoff – I had seen some advance publicity for ‘Seeking a Friend …’, and was thinking of going to see it, on the basis that you don’t normally get an SF component to the kind of film that a mainstream actor like Keira Knightley would appear in. On the basis of your review, I think I’ll give it a miss!

GeoffNelder
    Participant

Ah, I feel guilty now, depriving the film company of some of its expected $10 million profit. It has touching comedy moments and although, like the writer, I am drawn to the plight of people and how they’d cope with a certain end of world scenario, I didn’t think that aspect rose – more it was subordinated by the gooey romantic elements. At least that leaves the scope open to others (maybe us!) to write a better one – ha ha.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.