Writers thread

Home Forums General Forums Book talk Writers thread

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Mahon 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

GeoffNelder
    Participant

Thread for SF writers to let loose

GeoffNelder
    Participant

Not sure where this thread should have been placed so apologies in advance if I’ve overlooked its existence elsewhere.
    I’ve booked myself on a writers retreat on a Greek island for the last week in August. Life’s too short to think about what else I could have spent the money on, and I need a chunk of time to make inroads for the third volume of my ARIA trilogy. I tried to persuade Mrs N to come along but she doesn’t like writers as a whole (haha – the irony). If another SF writer would like to go along too then their website is at http://www.limnisa.com/

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Good idea for a thread Geoff – thanks.

The writers’ retreat sounds great – which Greek island is it on? I’ve wondered about doing one of these a few times. Won’t be able to go this year, as we’ve already got our family holiday sorted out for the end of August. But might have to look into this for the future, so thanks a lot. Have you been on retreats before – and, if so, what do you find most useful about them? Just the time away, or the setting, or what?

GeoffNelder
    Participant

The island is Methana with an area of 20 sq miles. I’ve been on 4 writers retreats with UKAuthors.com two in Cyprus (one in the north), South Wales and Newcastle. For me it’s mainly to focus on writing without domestic and work distractions, plus getting critiques on my work, and critting others, in the group. Holidaying too. On Cyprus I hired a bike and explored the Akamas Penninsular, wrote it up and sold the article to Cycling World. Will be doing the same on Methana. In northern Cyprus we stayed in a Scottish Laird’s former home, right next to Lawrence Durrell’s house where he wrote Bitter Lemons. It’s like I used to tell the kids I taught, who dithered about going on a Geography field trip: you will remember that week forever. How many ‘normal’ weeks do you remember?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Thanks for the additional details Geoff – sounds brilliant!

On a related note, I’d be interested in your working method (if you have a typical one, that is) – do you do a first draft, then get it critiqued, then rewrite one or more times before submitting the final version somewhere for possible publication? Or do you go about the process of getting from the blank page to a final version of your story in a different way? I’m always interested to know whether the way I do things is normal or completely weird…

Anyone else want to share their working methods?

GeoffNelder
    Participant

Let’s take ARIA as an example. As I puffed, riding my bicycle up a steep Welsh hill 5 years ago I had an original idea. WHat if amnesia was infectious? Then what if no one was immune. I researched like crazy for 4 months to discover a) there was no known medical event of infectious amnesia, and b) that the concept – especially with retrograde amnesia (lose say a year’s worth per day backwards) – hadn’t been used in published stories, nor on TV or film. It took a year to create the first 100k draft. I showed and discussed it with SF luminaries such as Jon C Grimwood, Charles Stross and US writer, Brad Linaweaver, who all endorsed it. Also to pal, Allan Guthrie, who is an agent, editor and author of hard-nosed crime. He wanted me to rewrite and tighten like crazy. So I joined the BSFA Orbiters and it went through SF members that way – very useful. An agent took it on. The 10th one I approached after many rejections on the grounds they liked the premise but it was me who they’d have trouble marketing because I’m not famous. After my second SF novel sold to Double Dragon Publishing, they would take ARIA but there are a few issues and I had hoped for a UK publisher. LL-Publications snapped at it last autumn and ARIA has its release tomorrow – August 1st 2012 – yeay. Signings and official launch yet to happen – probably in September. When LL-Publications sent ARIA to their editors, it went through its 5th revision. A week ago while reading the proof reviewer’s copy, I found a handful more typos! Hopefully it is good to go now. The second volume has gone through BSFA Orbiters and volume three is going through as we speak.
    Sorry, I drifted off topic a little. I’ll let someone else speak.

Chris James
    Participant

Geoff,
    That is a fantastic thing to be doing – I really hope ARIA does well for you!

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Is anyone else on here planning to do National Novel Writing Month (http://www.NaNoWriMo.org) this November?

GeoffNelder
    Participant

Literary killed baby comes back to life in http://markiles.co.uk/2012/10/gems-from-aria-by-geoff-nelder.html

Martin McCallion
    Keymaster

Hey, Patrick: late answer, but I’m doing NaNo. Though, if you look at my wordcount, you’ll see I’m not doing it very well.

How about you?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Hi Martin – nice to know someone else is doing it! Yeah, I am (I’m on as ‘Patrick Mahon’ if you want to see what I’m up to), and though I had a bad run last week (due to work – surprise, surprise), I’ve managed to catch up again, so currently at about 27k. Mind you, I think the best thing about NaNo is just knowing that lots of other people are trying to get the words down on the page. I get an awful lot more written in November than I do in any other month…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.