Which SF&F magazines do you read?

Home Forums General Forums Book talk Which SF&F magazines do you read?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  benedict 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Although this thread is called ‘Book talk’, I presume that others here read magazines too? I’ve just been reminded of this by getting my electronic copy of Ian Redman’s quarterly science fiction magazine, Jupiter SF, in my in-box tonight. (See http://www.jupitersf.co.uk if you haven’t heard of it.)

Does anyone else read Jupiter? If so, what do you think? And whether or not you read Jupiter, what other genre fiction magazines do people here read?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

OK, I’ll reply to my own post then. 🙂

I also read F&SF and Interzone. And I’ve recently started to read Interzone’s sister publication, Black Static, which covers horror and dark fantasy. I love Interzone’s and Black Static’s production values – they’re both extremely professional publications. Anyone else here want to share?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Just had issue 38 of Jupiter SF magazine hit my inbox, so my weekend is sorted, reading-wise!

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Just finished reading Interzone 241 (Jul-Aug 2012). A really good issue, containing five excellent stories, including the winner of the 2011 James White Award. I’ve had a bit of a gap from Interzone (no particular reason – just not got round to reading it for a while), but this issue has definitely encouraged me back.

Anyone else read Interzone recently?

Alex Bardy
    Participant

Don’t read so many nowadays, even though I’ve had the last couple of issues of Interzone and Black Static for 3+ months, have also got at least a year’s worth of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Analog, and Asimov’s magazine to catch up on, not to mention at least 29 books to read at last count… just have to take a step back, and magazines are the easiest ones to drop just at the minute… SHame, ‘cos Hub Magazine, Jupiter SF, Clarkesworld, Apex, Fireside Magazine, etc. all look well worth my time… alas, so do all the myriad of books dotted about the place… lol

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

I know what you mean Alex. I’ve always got too many things on the go at once, and magazines and short story anthologies always seem to be the first thing to be put to one side, even though that doesn’t make logical sense to me! However, I’ve started reviewing F&SF recently, so that is forcing me to read it, which is definitely a good thing. I’m just reading the Sep/Oct 2014 issue of F&SF at the moment, and enjoying the stories a lot.

On which note, perhaps I ought to go and read it… 🙂

benedict
    Participant

My resolution this year is to read each and every copy of Interzone that I receive plus every BSFA mailing. To put this into contact, I’ve not managed either for over a decade. That’s not to say I don’t read any of the mailings; just that I’ve probably not ploughed my way through an entire year’s mailings this century. And, having said this, I’m already three months in arrears!

During de-cluttering occasioned by a recent house move I donated my entire collection of Isaac Asimov’s magazines – and the small book case they were housed in – to my local AgeUK outlet. Because of their size – each issue fit in a jacket pocket – I’d read most of these on my then-daily commute. I’d only ceased my subscription due to a SNAFU at their website that I didn’t have the energy to overcome.

Anyway… looks like these forums are fairly low traffic. Is there a way of adding a “report this post” button to get the spam deleted?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.