Which SF films have you seen recently?

Home Forums General Forums TV/Film talk Which SF films have you seen recently?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Mahon 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

We’re away in North Wales for the half-term week, and the house we’ve rented has got Sky (which I don’t have at home). Saw Thor (2011) on one of the Sky Movie channels last night, and was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was. I guess that comes of having Kenneth Branagh direct it… What I was particularly intrigued by, though, was the use of a science-fictional treatment of the underpinning mythic elements, with Thor and his friends travelling from Asgard to Earth (and elsewhere) using some kind of hyperspace link that looked engineered, rather than just moving between realms through some god-like power of thought.

Has anyone else seen Thor? What did you think of it in general, and what did you think of the SF elements in particular?

And more generally, what other SF films have people seen recently?

Martin McCallion
    Keymaster

I haven’t seen Thor, but I saw Avengers Assemble recently, and it follows on from the points you mention above, to some extent. I’ll say no more in case of spoilers, but it’s well worth seeing.

Also The Cabin in the Woods, which is horror, but with SF underpinnings, and very good.

Best of all recently was Duncan Jones’s Source Code. Again, I won’t spoil it, but if you haven’t seen it, I recommend immediate watching.

If this forum takes off at all we should probably have topics per film, and spoiler-free and with-spoiler versions, at least of anything new.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Thanks Martin. I missed both Avengers Assemble and The Cabin in the Woods at the cinema, but have them both down as films to get on DVD when they come out, as I’ve heard really good feedback on both of them. Interesting that Joss Whedon was involved in both…

Chris James
    Participant

I really need to catch up with some of those films, thanks guys. I have a 14-year-old son so my quality time with him has been watching the Transformer films. Got to say that it was pretty good B-movie sci-fi fare like some of the films of old, and with Leonard Nimoy voicing the big bad robot, one or two neat in-jokes for the parents. Has anyone seen “Battleship”? Obviously that’s a film no self-respecting sci-fi fan would give the time of day, but you know, maybe if your kids insisted? šŸ™‚

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Thanks Chris. I saw one of the Transformers movies when it was on the TV a while back. I thought the special effects were great, but found the story deeply annoying, not least because it was so jingoistic – the Americans come to Egypt, and seem to have no concerns about blowing up loads of ancient monuments that are thousands of years old…

I’ve not seen Battleship, nor indeed heard of it, I’m afraid. What’s it about?

I watched ‘X Files: I Want to Believe’ on DVD last night. Enjoyed it, but wasn’t overwhelmed.

Chris James
    Participant

Here’s the wiki link to the synopsis of the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(film)

Just looks like a lot of typical B-movie fun, but I do agree about the Americans. Those old B-movies tended to make a valid point (the giant ants in “Them!” on the dangers of radioactivity) but now it’s only about how great America is *yawn*

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Thanks Chris. I see it’s out on DVD on 20 August – I may get it, just to see if it was as bad as some of the reviews made out. And since, like you, I’ve got a teenage son to entertain, it might just fit the bill for him, regardless of what I think! Cheers.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

At the weekend I got a DVD copy of ‘Night Watch’, the Russian film based on Sergei Lukyanenko’s book of the same title, from Poundland for …. yes, a pound! It seems to have pretty good reviews, so I’m looking forward to watching it. Has anyone else seen the film and/or read the book – and, if so, what did you think?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

I watched ‘Cowboys and Aliens’ over the weekend – and was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was. It is based on a graphic novel that seems to have got pretty bad reviews (mainly for the poor quality of the artwork, I think), but the film itself has a strong cast (Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford are the male leads, and Olivia Wilde from Tron Legacy is great as the female lead) and the mash-up of western and alien invasion tropes works really well, I think.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

There seems to have been a sudden glut of new SF films out recently. ‘Gravity’ came out this week, the film adaptation of ‘Ender’s Game’ was out a couple of weeks back, ‘Europa Report’ came out (online) a couple of months ago, and ‘Elysium’ before that. Oh yeah, and ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ too.

Anyone seen any of these? What did you think?

Anonymous

Saw Gravity last week in our local cinema in Streatham and really enjoyed it. Great in 3D and I am thinking about trying to get out and see it again somewhere with a huge screen…and I liked the fact it was a more subtle sci-fi, not so far removed from reality (not that I’ve been to space recently…).

I’d like to see Enders Game, although I haven’t read the novel. It has got some not bad reviews from critics, but apparently isn’t doing very well in ticket sales at the moment.

Star Trek: Into Darkness I saw on a plane, so not the best environment, but the name seemed really apt. I loved the first new Star Trek film as it was really energetic, fun and didn’t ruin Star Trek for me. This next film was darker in tone, and a bit less bright and fun – but I still really enjoyed it.

Has anyone seen Oblivion with Tom Cruise? I thought it looked awful but then I’ve watched a few Cruise films by accident recently (stumbled on Vanilla Sky and then Jack Reacher), and actually enjoyed those, so was thinking of taking a look…

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

I’ve heard a lot of good things about ‘Interstellar’, despite the fact that it doesn’t open for another week. I did see one review in particular which said ‘go and see it on the biggest screen you can’. So I think I’m going to go see that next weekend. Anyone else planning to see ‘Interstellar’ when it comes out?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.