What SF books have you read recently?

Home Forums General Forums Book talk What SF books have you read recently?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Mahon 4 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

I’m currently reading ‘Helix Wars’ by Eric Brown. It’s the sequel to his earlier ‘Helix’, and is rather good fun! Anyone else read it? Apparently, it was recently shortlisted for the Philip K Dick Award, so seems to have gathered some plaudits…

GeoffNelder
    Participant

I’ve heard good things about Eric’s Helix and it’s on my to-read shelf. Now his sequel is out I ought to get on with it.

My reading problem is that I’m a member of two SFF book groups and I find reading two books a month hard going. This month it’s Neal Asher’s Gridlinked and Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself. Both swashbuckling action books but with the former set in the future and the latter in a medieval alternative Earth. Both rather James Bond like for me but entertaining.

Geoff

http://twitter.com/geoffnelder

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

I’m about halfway through ‘Solaris Rising 2’, an anthology of 19 SF short stories edited by BSFA Chair Ian Whates. It’s really rather good! The absolute revelation so far was the story by Adrian Tchaikovsky, who I have always seen purely as a writer of epic fantasy. Turns out he can turn his hand to hard SF with the best of them! If you like SF short stories, this is definitely worth looking at.

George Berger
    Participant

I just finished reading War With the Newts, by the Czech writer, Karel Capek. It is a bitingly sarcastic, funny, book that takes pot-shots at just about every political and cultural trend in Central Europe, between, say, 1890 and 1938. The author invented the word ‘robot,’ in his RUR. A performance of that play impressed me about 50 years ago, when I saw it on the excellent American programme, Playhouse 90.

George Berger
    Participant

I just started reading PKD’s Ubik. It gets off to a confusing start, with too many characters and ideas being introduced too quickly for my taste. The writing here is dense, requires concentration, but suddenly becomes rewarding, since some new concepts are brought into play. I hope the rest of the book is as interesting.

GeoffNelder
    Participant

I have Ubik on my to read shelf. Too many review books to get through first, let alone me finishing writing my own ARIA Trilogy – just a chapter left to go for the final volume. I’ll be sad to see THE END.

Latest book I read was Harry Harrison’s Wheelworld. Bit dated – many similarities with the fun Inverted World by Christopher Priest.
    I introduced my book group to a recent SF novel: The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Clearly Hannu was having a jolly time with the writing and I enjoyed it enormously. Game Theory, feisty women, telepathic cities and what could happen when smart gardgets get even smarter. What more do you want?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Merry Christmas everyone! What SF books did you get in your Xmas presents? I’ve got three new books to read: Gene Wolfe’s ‘The Shadow of the Torturer’ (Vol.1 of ‘The Book of the New Sun’), which I’ve been meaning to read for ages; ‘Vast’ by Linda Nagata, which I’ve heard some really good things about; and ‘Ancillary Justice’ by Ann Leckie, which has had some great reviews. So I’m off to get reading.

What did the rest of you get in your stockings?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.