The Hobbit

Home Forums General Forums TV/Film talk The Hobbit

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Mahon 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

I’m a bit slow, so I’ve only just noticed that the first Hobbit film (of three! – how on Middle Earth they can justify making The Hobbit into that many films I do not know) will be out in the UK in mid-December.

Anyone heard anything good or bad about it? Who’s going to go and see it?

Matt Freeman
    Participant

I’ve been seeing a lot of posters and teasers around and the cast looks good. Three movies sounds like a franchise to me but here’s hoping. If they are anywhere near as good as LotR then I’ll be a happy camper.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Just come out of the cinema after watching all three hours of ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ – and I was very pleasantly surprised! I’d seen several so-so reviews, and wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s certainly true that the film is at least half an hour too long (at the beginning, which takes time to get up to speed), and that purists will hate some of the changes that have been made to the plot, let alone the large amount of expanded/invented back story. However, if you put the book to one side for a moment, this is a film that tells an entertaining story and tells it (for the most part) well. There’s some good acting from many members of the cast, the scenery is just as stunning as it was in LotR, and there’s a nice thread of humour running through the film. And Andy Serkis is just as brilliant as ever in the role of Gollum.

Overall, it’s very enjoyable, as long as you’re not expecting total fidelity to the book.

Anyone else been to see it yet?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

OK – one year on from my last post, and I’ve just seen the second Hobbit film, ‘The Desolation of Smaug’. I enjoyed it a lot, even if only about a third of it has anything to do with the original book. Again, it’s almost certainly too long, although it does at least get moving more quickly than the first film. But there’s lots of action, and interesting plot, and Smaug is brilliant!

Anyone else planning to see it?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

To complete the set, I watched the third and final Hobbit movie, ‘The Battle of Five Armies’, just after New Year. I thought it was the best of the three, managing to keep the pace up from start to finish and providing a good mix of action and more reflective sections.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think – of the final movie, and of the trilogy as a whole?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.