Forthcoming BSFA events

Home Forums The BSFA BSFA Events Forthcoming BSFA events

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Mahon 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

This topic will list the details of upcoming BSFA events.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Ahead of any specific listings, it may be worth noting that a good place to keep up to date with forthcoming BSFA events, unless and until they start getting posted here on the BSFA website, is the “British Science Fiction Association” group on Facebook. That seems to get regular updates on what’s happening. I don’t know of any other online sites that get such updates, but if anyone else does, perhaps they could post details here?

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Tony Keen has very helpfully told me (via the BSFA group on Facebook) that “the BSFA’s London meetings take place on the fourth Wednesday of each month, except December, when there is no meeting. The AGM is on June 9th.”

The venue for the monthly London meetings has recently changed. It is now at the Cellar Bar, The Melton Mowbray Public House, 18 Holborn, London EC1N 2LE.

I’m trying to find out what the subjects of the next few meetings will be. Once I find out, I’ll post them here.

Apparently, the BSFA also has a presence on LiveJournal, with some of these details available there too. I’m afraid I can’t verify this, as I’ve never been on LiveJournal, so if anyone who has can confirm how to access the BSFA material there, I’d be very grateful.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Martin McCallion has helpfully put full details of the next three meetings up on a blog post on the front page of the website today. For ease of reference, I’m reproducing that text below:

On Wednesday 25th April 2012, Sharyn November will be interviewed by Professor Farah Mendlesohn. ALL WELCOME – FREE ENTRY (No entry fee or tickets. Non-members welcome.) The discussion will commence at 7.00 pm, but the room is open from 6.00 (and fans in the ground floor bar from 5ish). There will be a raffle (£1 for five tickets), with a selection of sf novels as prizes.
    Location: Cellar Bar, The Melton Mowbray Public House. 18 Holborn, London EC1N 2LE . Map is here. Nearest Tube: Chancery Lane (Central line)

FUTURE EVENTS:
    23rd May* – CJ LINES interviewed by Tony Keen
    27th June – TANITH LEE interviewed by Nadia van der Westerhuizen

* Note that this is a month with five Wednesdays. The meeting will be on the fourth, not the last, Wednesday of the month

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Just in case anyone hasn’t seen it on the front page of the website, I’ll copy here the calling notice for the BSFA AGM this Saturday 9 June:

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the British Science Fiction Association Ltd will be held at The Royal Astronomical Society, Burlington House, London, W1J 0BQ on Saturday 9th June 2012 at 1.45pm for the following purposes:

1.To approve the Minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting

2.To approve the financial statements for the year ended 30 September 2011

3.To receive and consider the Annual Review of the Year.

4.Elections: Director appointments & retirements.

5.Any Other Business

Anyone going?

Martin McCallion
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick, Thanks for doing that, just in case anyone follows the forums but not the main news feed. Which is currently broken, as it happens (the RSS feed, I mean).

I should probably look into ways to do that automatically. Something else to add to the to-do list.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Did anything important happen at the BSFA AGM on 9 June? I’m afraid I couldn’t make it, as I was on holiday. I’d be interested to know of any big decisions that were made though, ahead of any formal minutes being produced – if that’s possible?

Martin McCallion
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick, I don’t think that any decisions were made. It was mostly the accounts and reports from the various committee members.

Of those the main points of interest were probably that Ian Whates intends to step down as Chair sometime before the end of the year, and Peter Wilkinson intends to step down as Membership Secretary in the next year or so.

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Thanks for that Martin – very helpful.

While I’m here, I’ll just copy across from the front page of the website the news about the change of guest for this week’s BSFA meeting in London, in case anyone hasn’t seen it:

On Wednesday 27th June 2012, Paul McAuley (multi-award winning author, most recently of In the Mouth of the Whale) will be interviewed by Paul Kincaid (BSFA Award winning critic).

Due to circumstances beyond the control of anyone involved, Tanith Lee will be unable to appear at our June meeting. We will make every effort to book her for a future meeting. Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience. We are grateful to Paul for stepping into the breach to appear as our guest in June.

ALL WELCOME – FREE ENTRY (Non-members welcome.)

The interview will start at 7 pm. We have the room from 6pm (and fans in the ground floor bar from 5ish). There will be a raffle (£1 for five tickets), with a selection of sf novels as prizes.
    Location: Cellar Bar, The Melton Mowbray Public House. 18 Holborn, London EC1N 2LE . Map is here. Nearest Tube: Chancery Lane (Central line).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.