17 billion potentially habitable planets in the Milky Way galaxy?

Home Forums General Forums Sci / Tech Talk 17 billion potentially habitable planets in the Milky Way galaxy?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  A E R I Oliver 5 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Patrick Mahon
    Participant

Who else has seen yesterday’s interesting BBC News story, announcing that the number of potentially habitable planets within our own Milky Way galaxy has just been estimated to be 17 billion?! Surely that means there must be life out there somewhere else? Sounds ideal for the SF writer…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20942440

A E R I Oliver
    Participant

I didn’t watch the programme, but I did catch the news… my immediate response was to note that if it wasn’t for an asteroid impacting Earth, the dinosaurs could well have developed a civilisation far more advanced than we are now. If they could have, surely in all those 17 billion, there must be at least one Earth-like planet that managed to escape being hit by an asteroid with a dinosaur-equivalent civilisation… and they must surely have space-faring capabilities… so why haven’t we been contacted by now?

Let’s face it, there are other factors at play here, which has meant we haven’t been contacted. We need to identify it/them or accept we are truly alone in this universe.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.